11/10/2010

Qualitative Data - Interview/Conversation

For my research into planning this music magazine, I collected different types of data (quantitative and qualitative). For this section I will outline the questions I asked to my next door neighbours, as they are musical enthusiasts. I interviewed 2 people between the ages 17-26.

The first question I started off with was do you buy and read music magazines daily? They both said they do buy and read music magazines daily, however, they did say they only buy 1 copy of each magazine they will read, so the both of them can read it (readership). After establishing they did read music magazines day in day out, I asked them which music magazines do you read then? The first response I got was Kerrang! And NME, this quick response took me by surprise. I know knew I was in for an interview with 2 people with a vast amount of musical knowledge. After knowing what type of music magazines they read, I wanted to know why they read them types of magazines? They both said, because that’s the music genre they are interested in. They also said that many of their favourite bands feature in them types of magazines, so that is another reason why they read. One of the girls said that they read the magazines sometimes purely because information about gigs is stated in the magazines. This way she can get tickets and go to the gig.

I then asked would you consider reading other music magazines? One of the girls said that she would read other types of magazines such as Top of the popsif it didn’t have immature content. I thought that was fair enough as a magazine like top of the pops is aimed at a young teenage target audience. The older girl, who said she is interested in going to gigs, festivals etc. Said that she would not buy a magazine like top of the pops but she would read it if she was perhaps waiting at the dentists. This excited me, because I found out that older people, that potentially are out of my target market, would still consider reading and musical gossip type magazine even if they had no interest in it what so ever.  I then asked them what appeals to you the most in music magazines?  The younger girl named Chloe said the musical gossip and the main headlines from the musical world of rock. She said that if there wasn’t this type of information in the magazines, then she would not read them. The older girl named Katie said that the news about gigs and festivals make her want to read a music magazine, she also said that if there were not any gigs going then she would buy the magazine to read up on the latest musical gossip from her preferred genre of music. This gave me crucial advice, which I need to include proficient information about music and specific genres of music in my music magazine.    

I had many different ideas on what to include in my music magazine. So I asked the 2 girls about unsigned artists and their thoughts on them.    Chloe actually said that she finds unsigned artists to be very interesting and popular with people all around the world. She mentioned that she listens to many unsigned artists on the internet, through the form of musical videos on YouTube, such as; Ed Sheeran. She also said she likes to listen to them because they work on their songs that little bit harder, in order to be recognised worldwide, so they can get signed by a music company.  I then asked what would be your thoughts on a music magazine about unsigned artists? This time Katie spoke first and said it would be brilliant, because then she and whoever else that reads that magazine can come to know any new musical talent there is out there. I then thought I’d ask them about a music/gossip magazine. Chloe said it would be a fantastic idea, however there should not be too much content on off topic subjects that don’t relate to the musical industry. However Katie said, it was an okay idea, but she said she would not like to read it if there was content about other stuff such as current affairs outside the musical world. 

I then asked if they would like varied headlines in the music magazine or just one main heading that runs throughout the magazine. They both said that in any magazine, let alone music magazines, there should be variety, because if there was only heading throughout the whole magazine the reader would become bored and uninterested. However if the headlines are varied then different parts of the magazine will be interesting and keep the reader, reading the magazine. I started to wrap up this interview/conversation, as I was asking my last couple of questions. I asked them how often would you like my music magazine to be published? Chloe said it would be wise to produce issue each week, as this would keep the customers in tune, for when the magazine will be issued and also that they can talk about the latest news on the music industry for that week. Katie also thought producing my music magazine, each week would be a good idea, for more or less the same reasons as Chloe. My final question that I asked was how could I ensure my magazine succeeds in the market? Katie said that if the magazine contained suitable information, a good range of high quality photographs and main headlines from the musical world then the magazine would be a success. Chloe on the other hand said if there was a catchy front cover each week the magazine would be a success, she also clearly stated that the magazine should have suitable and interesting content, as this is what would draw the readers into the magazine.
This interview/conversation has helped me in many ways. It has gave me advice from 2 music enthusiasts on how I should go about in producing a music magazine. I have taken their opinions and I will develop my music magazine on their opinions as they are a part of my target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment