11/03/2010

Audience research - Quantitative data (Survey)


I wanted to collect quantitative as well as qualitative data, because I wanted to find out what my target market/ audience would want in my magazine. For the quantitative data I created a survey on a website called survey monkey, www.surveymonkey.com is the link. I thought that making a survey was the best method of achieving precise qualitative data. The link to my survey is: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XSZT5CL
Analysis of the questions: 

1. Do you buy and read music magazines?
Yes – 19%
No – 42.9%
Sometimes – 38.1 %

I thought that asking this question is a good way to start of a survey about music magazines. Although I got a negative reply, I respect that they have been honest in the matter. 42% of 21 people said that they do not read music magazines, however 38% of people said they occasionally do, this is promising, because I would be receiving unreliable information from my audience.

2. What types of music are you interested in?
Hip hop – 61.9%
Indie rock – 33.3%
Pop – 23.8%
Rap – 47.6%
Classical – 4.8%
Country – 0%
House – 9.5% 

This question was a necessary question that I had to include in my survey. I wanted to know what type music my audience listen to and to do that I listed various different music genres and waited for a response from my survey. The majority of the people said they listen to Hip hop music. I now know that I have to include a Hip hop section in my magazine so that it appeals to the majority of my target audience. My magazine is not going to be concentrated on a particular genre, however by looking at the results of this question; I know to include a lot of hip hop news. 

3. On the front cover of the music magazine, who would you want on the front cover?
A good looking boy – 28.6%
A good looking girl – 33.3%
A band – 38.1% 

This question was ideal, because the front cover need to be appealing a persuasive in order for my target audience to pick it up and buy it. If I ask what the main picture and focus should be, then it will appeal to them. As the results show the voting was quite close, but the majority voted for a band to be on the front cover. I think that this is the best way forward as well. If there are two or more people on the front cover, it is easier for people to recognise who it is; also I think from experience, that it is easier to get a good photo shot if there is more than one person in the shot.

4. What is your opinion on a music/gossip type magazine? 

I got many replies on this question. Most of the people that answered this question said either that they do not have enough time to read magazines, they think the written content inside them types of magazines is not true or they do not like them. Although some people said they liked them, the majority would rather read something else. This is my main idea, however I will not change my idea, because this survey has only been distributed to my friends on facebook, therefore it does not represent for all types of people such as: musical enthusiasts. To have a proper opinion on a magazine of this type I will go on to musical forums and ask questions, this will be my qualitative data. I will respect everyone’s opinion. 

5. What do you think a suitable name would be for a music/gossip type magazine?
I got a good response to this question, however some people did skip the question, and this may have been because they didn’t have a suitable idea. Most of the suggestions that were put forward are okay, but I am looking to give my magazine a catchy and persuasive title, also some of the suggestions are more than one word, I want my masthead to be one word long, as this means it is straight to the point and catchy. 

6. Would the magazine be better if it concentrated on one particular story, rather than lots of different stories?

Before I asked this question I thought that most people who say that variety in a magazine is important. This was the case; most of the people who answered this question said variety make the magazine interesting, fun and diverse. Most of the music magazines I have read in preparation, to make my music magazine, have one main story and then lots of little stories within the magazine. If a magazine completely concentrated on a magazine then it would become boring for the reader. If my magazine is interesting then it will attract advertisement.

7. What do you think the target market would be for this musical/gossip type magazine?
Under 10 – 14.3%
11-15 – 28.6%
16-21 – 81%
22+ - 4.8%

This may have been a biased question as the majority of the people I asked were in the age range 16-21. However the people I have asked chose the age range they thought would be most suitable for my music magazine idea. Personally I think the music magazine I am going to make could come under two of the categories above. 11-15 & 16-21 are the main age categories I will look to have as my target audience. The voting is particularly in favour of the 16-21 age range. Due to this I will look to include more mature news in my magazine. 

8. Does this type of music magazine appeal to you?
Yes – 71.4%
No – 28.6%

The feedback I got from this magazine is quite helpful. The people that answered this survey are all in the age range 16-21, one person was over 22. This means my main target market does appeal to a music/gossip type magazine. This also means I have chosen the right aspects of the musical world; I have also manipulated the use of gossip to enhance my idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment